You may return your unopened order within 14 days after your order date for a full refund of the product purchase price. We do not refund shipping costs. If the return is a result of our error, we will gladly pay the return shipping costs (e.g. you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.) All opened orders need to contain at least 85% of product remaining and are subject to a 15% restocking fee. This is due to our product being food stuff and is unable to be reused after out of our possession.
You may expect to receive your refund within four weeks of our receiving the return package; however, in many cases you may receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the time it takes us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item please email our Customer Service Team at email@example.com or call 844-834-8669 to get a RMA (return merchandise authorization.).